Stephan

{tiddlername} in filters or {{tiddlername}} in wiki text are not variables,
they are transclusions. We use <variablename> in filters and
<<variablename>> in wiki text

If you choose to use transclusions the thing you are transcluding needs to
contain the value you want used.

Given Erics guidance the simple form is
[search[Mark]] -[search[Temple]]

Search defaults to tags, text and title if *field list*:  is blank

So If I read your example $:/temp/possearch should contain "Mark" and
$:/temp/negsearch
should contain "Temple".

Then the filter
[search{$:/temp/possearch}] -[search{$:/temp/negsearch}]
should work.,

You could use the edit-text widget to let users enter the value, or even a
select widget if you already can search for and identify possible values.

Another way to do this is use variables created from transclusions
\define posssearch() {{$:/temp/possearch}}
\define negsearch() {{$:/temp/negsearch}}}

then use the filter
[search<possearch>] -[search<negsearch>]

Regards
Tony