The approach is definitely interesting.

I could see a progression of diamonds indicating or initiating steps in a
sequence.

The shape of the clickable area is a bit of an issue. I think there is a
way round that in that SVG is usable much like "image maps" used to be.
Here is an example in TW:
http://sunypoly-cushinj-project.tiddlyspot.com/#Choose%20a%20County

Best wishes
TT