Eric,

It has an on-hover "more button" showing tools.

> Yes... this makes it easy to use "New Here" to add a new child item to the
> tree

In my opinion, this solution is not really usable on the phone (although I
have only tried it in DeveloperTools Responsive view), because hover is
only possible with the mouse.

I created this plugin for a similar purpose:
https://bimlas.gitlab.io/tw5-override-navigation/

In this case, the "toolbar buttons" do not appear next to the link, but,
for example, between the page controll buttons (or where you just placed
them) and operate with any link (not just the ToC elements).