I make fairly heavy use of tags in TiddlyWiki and that works very well for
broad categories. Is there a way to semantically model some relationship
between two tiddlers?

For example, in a graph database, you might create a relationship like this:

[Leonardo da Vinci]   ----Painted--->    [The Mona Lisa]

It's pretty easy to see creating tiddlers for The Mona Lisa and Leonardo da
Vinci, but the only real way to link them is either tags or hyperlinks, but
I don't see a good way to model that relationship. The closest I've seen is
the TiddlyMap plugin, but that stores all of the relationships as JSON
content, which can only really be manipulated through the map plugin itself.

Is there a good option in TiddlyWiki I've missed?