> I imported over 1000 bookmarks into TiddlyWiki from Evernote, and I'm
> still under 4MB (only about 40 or so have notes, the rest are just title &
> link)...

Should absolutely not be a problem. I think successful tests have been made
with 80.000 tiddlers and 4MB is pretty small.

I tried to change the default Twiddler & got the JavaScript error

That's a basic thing to do so exactly what did you do?

> So I tried adding a Table of Contents, saved 2 tiddlers, hit F5, error...
> restore the backup again

Again, you're not really describing what you're doing but adding a ToC
should not cause any problems at all.

You can put up a public wiki test case via e.g
http://tiddlywiki5.tiddlyspot.com/

<:-)