Well, I think "highlighting" is actually just background coloring with a
faint color :-)

There is no direct *wikitext* highlighting which is what I think is what
you're after, but I made a github request
<https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/issues/2228> for this (...some
time ago, ehm) so give it a thumbs up.

So, for now, I'm afraid you'll have to something like @@background:#FF9;
this@@.

OR you can check out the very recently announced Dynanote plugin that might
do exactly what you're after. See release notes in the prerelease
<https://tiddlywiki.com/prerelease/>.

<:-)