IMHO Jed: The default option -active on installation, and working with the
very first edit/save on a tiddler- should be to update (not duplicate) the
file wherever it sits on the user's machine... And the "Saving" control
panel should have a line of contextual guidance to say in effect: "this is
the default, and these other options -if activated- will result in the
following change to that default" -if any (i am still not clear if these
saving options are all mutually compatible, or exclusive, or what).

I just know that i have clicked the two relevant-sounding saver options -
Saving:General: AutoSave, and Download Saver: Enable AutoSave for Download
Saver - both on and off, to no apparent effect, i.e. i still wind up having
to save a new file with a different name (version digit incremented by one)
on my desktop.  For me, this is both non-intuitive and unduly frictional,
even if you know what you have to do.

Anyway: that's all in the web browser UI (Chrome / Firefox / Safari -have
tried all)... But since i have as Jeremy suggested moved my workflow to
Tiddly Desktop, this is no longer an issue: local save seems to work fine
-albeit *without* the GitHub Saver turned on.