Basically Drift should be an empty TiddlyWiki with a combination of plugins
added:
- 3rd party plugins and themes
- your own plugins like cross links
- every other tiddler you need for Drift, packaged into a "Drift" plugin.
an empty Drift file should contain no other tiddler.

Users can then update to the latest version by just dragging and dropping
in the latest plugins. No need for any base copy etc.

In the long run it would also be great if you can separate everything
purely visual and theme related from the functionality, but I also realize
that can get very complicated and may not be easily doable.

The plugin for 2 stories that Stroll uses, assumes the standard page
template and theme/CSS for TiddlyWiki and works around that. The problem is
that the current TiddlyWiki page template layout is not very flexible. So
you can easily add that plugin to Drift, but you will need to customize the
CSS extensively and it is complex to wrap your head around at first, since
its both responsive and uses macros to account for single story / dual
story / no sidebar and sidebar combinations. In essence with some work, you
could have that plugin in Drift, with an additional stylesheet to make the
CSS work for your layout.

Regards,
Saq