Just tried it on TiddlyWiki.com, and as you can see (there should be a
screenshot below) it's working fine.

However, is there any chance you have a class "mybuttons" defined anywhere?
With all those plugins, it's possible that more than one of us thought of
that same clever class name. Just change "mybuttons" to "xxxbuttons" in the
TE template to see if your buttons reappear (remember to close the TE
tiddler after changes).

Here's how I defined "mybuttons". My goal was to make the buttons
unobtrusive.

button.mybuttons  {
  background-color: lightgray;
  border: none;