Mario,

Thanks for sharing your expertise on this. I have a need for a subtly
different approach, because I am thinking of fields I may use in solutions
I deliver. Solutions intended for common use. For example a journal-date
field with a time stamp so there is no need to parse the "pretty title", or
a tool that displays "descriptions" when they exist in a verbose mode.

I can keep this all in my wikis, but I would like to share my work to save
others time.

*So the OT was can I pollute the fieldname space, You said yes, and I
should consider moving some capabilities away from tags and fields is
appropriate.*

Here is what has led me to this whole question;
I have built a development environment that allows me to define and handle
objects and fields, I have simplified this with a seperate set of reusable
field types, and they respond to a different modes the wiki is in. I now
have a library of field and field type definitions for a lot of common
fields, from email addresses to reference links and source urls. I have
secured the meaning of these fields by using them on tiddlers only with an
object-type field but they are freely available to use anywhere and come
with their own display/report/table and editing tools, including special
modes such as given a year number how many years old is it.

It in this open source shared environment I would like to build the
resources to make better use of fields for every one.

If installed on an empty.html they should give plain and simple fieldnames
with meaning by their name and not cluttered with prefixes or suffixes. I
believe this should not cause conflicts with plugins and if one field did
you can redefine it, create a new one.

Another example is on $:/config/tiddlers I can add a field called
config-values containing the possible values including a filter then build
a solutions that works on all config tiddlers, buttons, selects and opening
the tiddler itself. It would be a defacto standard for me and anyone that
uses it, but it would not make sense to add .psat, especially to the values.

My feeling is if field names are well chosen, there will be few overlaps,
as long as their use is scoped eg; on tiddlers with $:/config/ prefix the
config-values may exist. If authors could register what the names of the
fields are and what kind of content they hold others can view the registry
and decide their own or to reuse a name. eg; a Keywords field, would
presumably hold only words not tiddler titles?, a system-caption would be
an alternate name for a system tiddler like a caption that will appear in
standard search such as  link to $:/Manager
<http://127.0.4.85:8081/resources#%24%3A%2FManager> would be named "Tiddler
Manager" in search results.

These solutions almost depend on using the appropriately named fields.

Regards
Tony