Lisa

Quick tip: Wrapping even a list that contains actions widgets with a button
is sufficent to trigger that action for every item in the list.

\define journalTiddlerName( ) $(when)$ $(project)$
\define state() $:/state/$(currentTiddler)$
\define createTodaysEntry()
<$action-createtiddler $basetitle="$(journalTiddlerName)$" tags="journal
$(project)$" project=$(project)$ description="$(description)$" />
\end

<$vars project={{!!project}} description={{!!description}} when=<<now DD-MMM
-YYYY>> >
<$button>
<$list filter="[title<journalTiddlerName>] +[is[missing]] +[limit[1]]">
<<createTodaysEntry>>
</$list>
Create <<journalTiddlerName>>
</$button>
</$vars>

Note that I changed the reference to
$basetitle="$(journalTiddlerName)$"

Perhaps you could add
https://tiddlywiki.com/#ActionNavigateWidget to open the tiddler as well.

FYI when you use a value in the current tiddler to create a new one with
the same values such as project I have started calling this "in context", I
plan to release a "context tool" one day.

Regards
Tony