Gideon,

Using the tag pill on a tiddler,

Or <<tag  "My Special Tag" >> click the first line the tags name, this goes
to the tags tiddler (if it was one) or allow you to edit it so it becomes a
tiddler as well as a tag.

Save it

Rename the tags actual tiddler and it will update wherever the tag is used.
*Check ** Update test to Testit in the tags and list fields of other
tiddlers* to be sure.

Regards
Tony