Oh thanks, I already discovered some of them, e. g. Thomas Elmiger's
https://tid.li/tw5/hacks.html#TextStretch
(For a comprehensive overview one should probably consider reveal,
footnote, tooltip/mouseover/popup plugins as well, as they do
conceptually similar things, with varying degree of distraction from the
text. A little bit off-topic, but also very interesting if you read
German:
<https://vsis-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/vsis/publications/lookthesis/313>)

I recently stumbled upon another version that's more sophisticated and
probably closer to the original vision: https://getcoleman.com/