On Sunday, June 28, 2020 at 9:08:44 PM UTC-7, Dave Parker wrote:

> Hi, I have this macro:
> \define datehx2(here)
>
> @@color:red;font-size:65%;
> <$list filter="[title[$here$]get[dates]sort[]]"/>@@
>
> \end
>
> \define datehx()
>
> <$macrocall $name=datehx2 here=<<currentTiddler>> />
>
> \end
> <<datehx>>
>
> ... list all the entries in the field "dates" (which are in the format
> "2020-06-28")...
>

> 1' question - *how do I force block formatting in this situation?*

You are using the "short form" of the <$list> widget, where it ends with
"/>", rather than using <$list>...</$list>
When using this short form, the default output is just the tiddler titles,
without any other formatting.
This is what results in a single line rather than showing each tiddler
title on its own line.

2' question - why is the resultant list successfully reduced in size, but
> not turned red?

As you noted, the output is producing *links*, rather than plain text.
The default styling for links is to show them using a blue color which
supersedes
any plain text "color:red" attribute that is otherwise in effect.

To fix these two problems:
1) Use the full <$list>...</$list> widget syntax with specified output
rather than default output
2) Use the <$text> widget to force the output to be plain text.

If the "dates" field contains a *list* of dates, then "get[dates]" isn't the
right filter to use.  Instead, you want to "enlist{!!dates}" so that the
<$list> widget
uses the field contents as a list of separate items, rather than as one
text item.

and... there's no need for all that macro stuff, just to pass the
currentTiddler value around.
Instead, you can refer to the currentTiddler variable directly in the
filter syntax.

Something like this should do what you want:
<$list filter="[<currentTiddler>enlist{!!dates}sort[]]"
variable="this_date">
   @@color:red;font-size:65%; <$text text=<<this_date>>/><br>@@
</$list>

enjoy,