Thank you for this - I was thinking of something similar recently but since
you have made it, and better than I ever could, I hope you don't mind some
comments from the peanut gallery..

I don't like the hover feature.  It's too difficult  not to trigger the
sidebar when going for the Check button, which is too small. I would just
prefer to have the editor cover the sidebar stuff.  Then clicking anywhere
off the editor textarea would close it, or perhaps the Escape key could
close it also. Other than that, it's a very nice enhancement.