Yeah, it is potentially a big issue, and I'm successfully avoiding it  now
by just attaching events to a year tag. :)

I suppose you could make fuzzy dates tiddlers of their own, and give them
fields which describe. the space they cover.  How?  A central point and a
halo of fuzziness? A start and end date which implies "the actual is
sometime in here"?

Sometimes you'd want to know about the date as if it were a point (perhaps
at the center of the range), but sometimes you'd want to know about the
date as if it were a span, maybe depending on how you wanted to visualize
it?