Tones, you have hit the nail on the head.

TW is insanely powerful, but not everyone has the time and inclination to
tinker around. This observation is accurate for all the tools, Linux vs.
Windows for the desktop computers, Vim vs. Visual Studio Code, etc.

I like to customize my tools, and I have done so with many tools I use,
like my text editor. But I had to take a break from TiddlyWiki
customization because I was busy in other projects. I tried Obsidian but
came back to TW, only because I had already collected hundreds of TW notes.

Different TW editions will fix this problem considerably. Like we have
several Linux distributions to choose from, we should have at least a few
well maintained TW editions.

Another reason is the lack of a centralized plugin and theme library. If
customizing TW mostly involved installing and updating a few plugins from
inside the TW, it would mitigate the difficulty for newbies.

Currently, you have to scour the forum, Dynalist Toolmaps, and some other
TW to find the appropriate solution.

It's fun to hack, but it requires resources, most important of which is
time. Not all users are time-rich.