Ste,

To me static means as others have said basically it is "unchanging". Thus
it will not save changes to the server. The Author may regenerate and save
change to the server manually, or in a somewhat automated way, which makes
the site look like an interactive site.

To me there are only two clear and apparent advantages

   - As every tiddler is a separate independent html page each is open to
   search engines.
      - On the standard static site, links are changed to load the next
      static page
      - All content is generated and in a sense a snapshot created that
      does not need rendering
   - If the wiki is large it has a load time some consider unacceptable,
   despite being able to provide a startup splash screen
      - This may affect search engines indexing or not favouring tiddlywiki
      sites, because load time is considered critical

My personal view is exporting to a static website is a sad waste of
interactive features,

   - stops the users benefiting from
      - last state (eg marking something read)
      - Customisation
      - History
      - and a lot more
   - Just makes tiddlywiki a static html site generator (great but limited)
   - Breaks tiddlywiki single file wiki model as every tiddler becomes its
   own html page.

My solution would be

   - Export separate static tiddlers only as they change for upload to the
   publishing site
   - Ensure their internal links point to the full wiki so any link from a
   static page loads the full wiki
      - Or selectively by design
   - For very large sites consider a multi-wiki setup that is transparent
   to the user.
   - If re-publishing tiddlers "posts and pages" elsewhere you can post the
   URL to the static page, as a landing page, knowing they then enter the
   interactive wiki if they have any further interactions.

I have not had time to do this yet, but will for my own business sites.

Advanced ideas;

   - In a single wiki develop so we actually specify which links can go to
   another static tiddler and which should open, which interactive wiki.
   - Provide a simple way to publish from one wiki, multiple interactive
   wikis along with all static pages with URL customised for links to static
   or interactive pages.
   - Provide support so if someone wants a link / bookmark they can choose
   the static or interactive (Permalink).

I hope this helps

Regards
Tones