Hi mOede,
I have some pointers. Hope that may help you.

> I am trying to create a TW site for preparing technical specification
> documents.  Each document could have 20+ sections (but not always the
> same sections).  I would like to start out with a standard document,
> and then make copies of each section as needed so I can edit it for a
> project without changing the standard set.  I would also like the

As far as I understand looks like this:

tiddler: Project1
  - tiddler: Section 1 (standard)
  - tiddler: Section 2a (standard but modified for project 1)

Project2
  - Section 1 (standard)
  - Section 2 (standard)

> ability to attach comments (separate from the edited section) that are
> searchable/accessible anytime I look at the "standard" section.  Hope
> this makes sense.

yes. I think you have found NotesPlugin[1] and commentsPlugin[2]
allready.

==snip copyTiddler and matchTags from tiddlytools===
I have no experience with those.

> So, the question is, do you think this is a good approach?  Is there
> anything that would be better from a design perspective?  Also, one of
> the key features to make this work will be developing an easy way to
> copy and tag sections for a new document.

I have an idea for this:

The TW core has the newTiddler macro which is part of SidebarTools
tiddler. It can be modified like this:

<<newTiddler
        label:"MyNewTiddler"
        tag:"Tag1"
        tag:"Tag2"
        title:"YourTiddlerTitle"
        accessKey:""
        text:"someTxt"

To pimp it a little bit, use:

Title: <<option txtTitle>>
Tag1: <<option txtTag1>>
Tag2: <<option txtTag2>>

<<newTiddler
        label:"MyNewSection"
        tag:{{config.options.txtTag1}}
        tag:{{config.options.txtTag2}}
        title:{{config.options.txtTitle}}
        accessKey:""
        text:{{store.getTiddlerText("PrototypeSectionOne")}}

Explanation:

Title .. Title of the new Tiddler(Section)
Tag1.. eg: Project1
Tag2.. eg: backreference to Prototype

<<option txtTitle>> generates an input field that can be used by any
macro code. It will be referenced by config.options.txtTitle. The
variable name has to be uniqe.

<<newTiddler .. calls the macro
  label:"MyNewSection"  .. labels the button
  tag:{{config.options.txtTag1}}  .. tags the tiddler eg:ProjectX
  tag:{{config.options.txtTag2}}  .. eg: backreference
  title:{{config.options.txtTitle}}  .. title of the new tiddler
  accessKey:""  ..  doesn't work for me. firefox eats it
  text:{{store.getTiddlerText("PrototypeSectionOne")}}  .. reads the
content of the protoype Tiddler. This has to be adjusted according to
your needs.
>> .. don't forget the macro closing !!

more details see [3]

If you copy the
<<newTiddler ...
sveral times 20+ you will have 20+buttons and 3 input filds
eg:
ProjectX: (aka: Tag1)
Tag: (aka Tag2)
Title: ..