I like the marker idea, Charlie. Markdown tables (or wikitext tables) are
such a pain to edit that I have been repeatedly quelling an urge to write
separate tiddlers for each row of the one I'm writing (documenting for
myself which macros do what, and where they live, in a personal plugin).
It's so tempting in TW to write a "solution," thereby opening yet another
set of parentheses before I finish the task at hand. Right now I'm jumping
around between cells, so every time I look for my place I have to put down
a new urge to institute a System. :)

...I actually broke down and wrote the tiddler to generate the table, and
one single data-containing tiddler, just to scratch the itch, and went back
to trying to maintain my discipline until the job is done.

Tables are an annoyance in any Markdown environment, but TiddlyWiki is
devilish in that you know you could write something on top of it to
generate the table you're making, and organize the data while you're at
it...