On Tuesday, October 13, 2020 at 5:45:40 PM UTC-7, David Gifford wrote:

> I installed Timimi for Chrome, thinking that by doing this, Chrome would
> then save changes to the file. But when I closed a tiddler, the save
> changes button turned red. Ok, so an extra step. fine. But when I click the
> save changes button, it asks me where to save a backup file! So now a third
> step: remove the (1) from the file name. Then it asks me if I want to
> replace the existing file. Fifth step.
> Am I missing something here?

What you describe is the behavior of the default "download" saver.  This
suggests that you didn't properly install Timimi for Chrome.

Note that I use the download saver all the time.  I actually prefer it.
Here's why:

1) By *not* autosaving after each tiddler change, it completely eliminates
the risk that a change I make will "break" the file.

2) Because the download saver adds the "(n)" suffix to the suggested
filename, it makes it easy to save "checkpoints" while I am working.  If I
think that something I just changed might cause a bad problem -- such as
tiddler content being incorrectly deleted or overwritten, or a run-away
filter that hangs the browser -- I save a checkpoint file, leaving the
"(n)" on the saved filename, and then continue working in the currently
loaded document.  If things go badly, I can then just reload the last
checkpoint file and fix the problem without having to reset the values in
any $:/state tiddlers or reconstruct any damaged or lost tiddler data.

3) I also save checkpoints when things are working well, but I am about to
make major changes (e.g., completely re-write some macro definitions).
Again, if things go badly, I can just abandon those changes and reload the
last checkpoint to get back to a working state and then try again.

4) When I am finally satisfied that *everything* is working correctly, I
can save the file, but this time I click on the original filename -- the
one without the "(n)" -- and then confirm that, yes, I *do* want to
overwrite it.  Note that I don't have to manually "remove the (1) from the
filename"... I just click on the real filename and the system's file saving
dialog does the rest.

5) The "confirm overwrite" message provides one last chance for me to
think, "am I *100% sure* I'm ready to replace the real file?"

6) When I am done working and have overwritten the original file, I can
then go to the folder where all the checkpoints have accumulated, and
delete them all... or just move them to another folder, just in case I
discover a bad problem after the fact.  As long as there's room on my hard
drive, I can always go back to a previous checkpoint; and I can also use
the checkpoint with a file comparison program in order to figure out what I
changed at each step.  I can't tell you how many times this has quickly
helped me find a subtle problem caused by some stupid typo or other
unintended change, without a long and laborious debugging session.

7) In addition to all of the above... sometimes I will try an experiment
using the online empty TiddlyWiki (http://TiddlyWiki.com/empty.html), and
then, when I am ready to take that experiment further (or if I need to
save-and-reload after installing a plugin), I will use the exact same
"download saver" process to get a local copy before continuing.  No matter
where I go, the process for saving is always the same.

-e