You're showing us bits and pieces. In particular, you're not showing us
your regular expression.

When I try this on TiddlyWiki.com :

<$set name=validate.search.regexp value="\bmes.*\b">
<$set name=full.filter value="[all[tiddlers]!is[system]has[caption]]
+[search:text:regexp<validate.search.regexp>]" >

<$list filter=<<full.filter>>>

</$list>

</$set></$set>

it runs fine. So I think we need to know more about your regular
expression, and maybe sample data. Better yet would be a page somewhere we
could look at.