Wow, that's amazing. I would never have thought something called "order"
would be what would be used to do this. But there's an odd problem.
Following your instructions exactly results in the selected tab button
having the gap side (see picture) being on the right like the tab bar was
still on the left of the content. I can't figure out how to move it to the
left side of the button. I had success hiding the gap on the right side
using border-right, but border-left actually seems to refer to a line just
short of the long vertical line, meaning I can't use it to make the gap
like it might be expected to. (I'm not yet trying to make little sticky
note tab buttons that look like they were stuck to the content. I'll try
that when I have a better understanding of CSS.) But at least I'm pretty
sure I can get the horizonal tabs that are transcluded by the vertical tabs
moved to where I want them.

Is there some special extra border or something that makes the gap appear?