My bad, that was a typo caused by my text editor’s bracket autocomplete. It
does work with the typo fixed, which is strange because I swear this has
not
worked for me before. Maybe at the time I didn’t know anything about
TiddlyWiki and I was doing something else wrong. Learned something new,
thanks!

Tones, I would think the benefit is that the <__parameter__> syntax can’t
get
messed up by quoting, no matter what is in the parameter (same reason you
might want to use it outside a filter). In your version, if there was a
double-quote in the name of the tag, the filter would break. You could use
triple quotes around the filter, but then triple quotes would mess it up,
and
so on.