David,

You can force uniqueness for each tiddler with qualify to the state eg
state=<<qualify  $:/state/tabs>> however this will not be unique within the
tiddler.

Use   <<qualify  $:/state/tabs/articles>>
<<qualify  $:/state/tabs/documents>>  to have additional tabsets unique
both to the tiddler and within the tiddler.

Alternatively if you do not qualify  state=$:/state/tabs/articles  changing
the tab in one tiddler will be reflected in all other tab sets using the
same state tiddler. This sometimes has an advantage to users who may want
to use a particular tab in multiple tiddlers Each open with the last
selected.

Pick and choose according to the outcome you want.

Tones