This is sounds like an itch i'm also trying to scratch.

Was excited to learn from @MarkS. about "External Attachments" plugin for
TiddlyDesktop, since that is my UI for TW5, but couldn't get it working
right: i drag an image to TiddlyDesktop, and it lights up the green import
bar atop the window, but then it offers to import scads of unrelated
tiddlers... And then there is in the end no new tiddler, and no evidence of
the image i tried to import.

So: The best workaround i've been able to achieve for my purposes is:

   1. Create free image galleries online at imgur.com (great service, if
   you don't know it, with good UI on all platforms DT&mobile; easy to upload
   in bulk); then
   2. In the "Images" view of your account, pull down the view options to
   "Generate Image Links"; then
   3. Cllck-select all the images you want to link; then
   4. Paste the generated list into a tiddler (got to hack the URL a bit,
   adding suffix "i." after https:// and appending ".jpg" to the end, but
   that's easily scriptable); and
   5. Save tiddler in markdown format, using convention of ![image](url)
   for inline display.

Dunno if this addresses your UseCase directly, @HP -sounds like you are
after a more scaleable approach- but in case it helps anyone wanting to
link groups of external images, this could be one way to go.