Here's a solution. Hopefully there's a more elegant one. In my data, "test"
is the data tiddler and "idx1" is the index.
This uses the new search-replace operator to replace linefeeds with html
linebreaks, so that the text will display
as expected.

<$vars eol="<br/>" lf="""
""">
<$set name=out value={{{ [[test]getindex[idx1]search-replace:g<lf>,<eol>]
}}} >
<<out>>
</$set>
</$vars>

If you want output like TW, with single linefeeds ignored but double
linefeeds recognized, then you could use the simpler:

<$wikify name=out text="""<$transclude tiddler=test index=idx1 mode=block
/>""" output="html">
<<out>>
</$wikify>