Hi!
'
If you want to tag them only to filter bibtex tiddlers from other tiddlers,
you could also use their other fields for this. (a tag is just a field with
special styling). Imported bibtex tiddlers should at least have the
'bibtex-title' fields as every reference has a title. You can use the has
operator <https://tiddlywiki.com/#has%20Operator> to select any tiddlers
with the 'bibtex-title' field.

For example: <<list-links "[has:field[bibtex-title]]">> will make a list
with all tiddlers with the field bibtex-title.

If you want tags instead have a look at Mohammed's Refnotes plugin
<https://kookma.github.io/TW-Refnotes/#%24%3A%2Fplugins%2Fkookma%2Frefnotes%2Fbibtex%2Fbutton%2Fset-tag>.

If you follow the link it will bring you to a tiddler with a button that
adds a tag to all imported bibtex tiddlers. I think you can use the code
from that tiddler for your use case.