Hi Brad

> Pretty basic question, I believe... I have been trying to get some plugin
> macros to work, and the output is NaN, which I am guessing means "not a
> number".
>
> The plugin macros work if a number is put in the macro call, but when I try
> to transclude a field it gives NaN. The macro is supposed to output the raw
> score and a bonus based on the raw score. It's a Dungeons & Dragons thing if
> you aren't familiar.
>
> <<dnd.ability 16>>           Gives correct output:          16 (+3)
>
> <<dnd.ability {{!!dnd.creature.str}}>>          Gives:  NaN <x-msg://6/#NaN>
> (−NaN <x-msg://6/#NaN>)
>
> {{!!dnd.creature.str}}        Correctly transcludes the field value:    16
>
> Is there the something line an INT function that must be used to say this is
> an integer and not a string?

The macro call <<dnd.ability {{!!dnd.creature.str}}>> passes the literal string
"{{!!dnd.creature.str}}” as the parameter to the macro, rather than evaluating
it.

There’s a more flexible underlying syntax for calling macros where the
parameters are evaluated before invocation:

<$macrocall $name="dnd.ability" paramName={{!!dnd.creature.str}}/>

Where “paramName” is the name of the parameter to your macro.

> Also, I was simply pasting in some of the mathematics operator examples and
> they do not evaluate the expression. There is obviously something else I am
> missing:
>
> [[23]add[19]]    gives      23]add[19 <x-msg://6/#23%5Dadd%5B19>

Pasting [[23]add[19]] is interpreted as a link to a tiddler titled “23]add[19”
because filter expressions are only evaluated in certain contexts, notably
triple curly braces. Try:

{{{ [[23]add[19]] }}}

Best wishes

Jeremy