Hi Mark,

If as Mark mentioned, these are indeed UTF-8 symbols, TW is very good at
leveraging CSS for these kinds of ends. Use your browser's inspect function
to see whether you have some unique CSS wrapping you can put to use.

For instance, there's a really neat (French) TW at
https://silvyn.github.io/tw-n0d1/ that prettifies many types of links,
adding a PDF icon when linking to a PDF, a Github icon before a link to
Github, etc. I probably didn't extract that functionality properly as it's
not properly packed as a distinct plugin and all my icons were appearing in
black and white. I easily corrected the issue adding some bits of code to
my personal stylesheet along the lines of:

a[href$=".pdf"].tc-tiddlylink-external:before {
    color: #da251c !important;
}

(This example applying to links including a .pdf extension).

I add any CSS tweaks to a personal stylesheet, which is simply a tiddly
with a "$:/tags/Stylesheet" tag filed away under a special title
"$:/plugins/[foo]/stylesheet/compacttweaks.css" (which makes it a system
tiddler rather than a standard tiddler, thus hiding it away from basic
search for instance).

Best,
R²