Mark, thanks for mentioning that related plugin. As far as I could tell on
my first browse-through when it was first announced, uni-link changes how
links display, but they still need to use [[hard markup|?]]. ("It allows
users to assign an aliases field to tiddlers, that can be referenced with a
slightly modified link syntax.")

My use case, though, involves chunks of text pasted into the wiki from
other sources, so I'm not wanting to go in and set up [[links-like-this|?]]
all over the place. The freelinking is essential, and my hack is designed
to cast a wider net for certain freelink-worthy terms.

Are you suggesting that uni-link would integrate with freelinks and help in
this use-case? Crucial to my situation: I still want the actual variant
strings within tiddlers to continue displaying *whatever it was* that the
original author typed...

So far, it strikes me that uni-link is designed for roughly the contrary
challenge to mine: a systematic single-author wiki where author wants to
use a concise markup to streamlines the cumbersome old [[workarounds for
plurals and such|workaround]], while also enabling retroactive global
changes to how certain [[hardlinked variants|c]] display. (So, if I change
my dog's nickname, all I do is update the caption field for the dog's
tiddler... Standard links to the dog's official name [[Rex]] still look and
function the same, but any uni-links via the caption [[Rex|c]] immediately
all show the new nickname. Cool! But not what I need to do...)

Happy to hear if you think I'm misunderstanding...

-Springer