I have tried to search for answers to this questions but most of them were
years old and seemed rather complex. It seems to me that by now there would
exist a simple solution.

I have a simple JavaScript code that takes a number representing an
interval and calculates the current date + interval. The below code will
output the next date correctly in a tiddler text field but I am unable to
plug this value into a tiddler field.

---

\define getNextDate()
<$macrocall $name="next-date" interval=5 />
\end

<<getNextDate>>

---

I have tried the below method to store the output into a field. The
confusing part is that both the <<date>> and <<getNextDate>> work fine in
the text field and even though <<date>> outputs the date in the text field,
the value that is set to the field "due" will be just "<$macrocall
$name="next-date" interval=5 />".

<$set name="date" value=<<getNextDate>>>
<<date>>
<$button>
<$action-setfield $field="due" $value=<<date>>/>

Set interval

</$button>
</$set>

Any help would be greatly appreciated!