On Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 8:58:04 AM UTC-7 tru...@gmail.com wrote:

> I had a trial run of using TW's built-in math operators, hoping they could
> allow the result to be evaluated in a variable, but it didn't work. It's
> the same issue - even when it's a negative value, sign[] interprets it as a
> positive. Probably because it's coercing the wikitext string to a number,
> instead of using the number from the result?

Try this:
<$wikify name=number text={{budgetDelta}}>
<$set name=csscolor
filter="[<number>sign[]match[-1]then[color:red;font-weight:bold]else[color:black;]]">
</$set>
</$wikify>

Notes:
1) Use $wikify instead of $set.  This allows the contents of
{{budgetDelta}} to be parsed by the formula plugin rather than just
retrieving the formula text
2) Set "csscolor" rather than "cssclassname".  This uses literal CSS styles
rather than references to classname declarations
3) use "style=<<csscolor>> to apply the computed styles

enjoy,
-e