I know its an old post but......

My thought is to take advantage of the quote feature that is already there
- it has provision for adding your own CSS class.

<<<
Here is my
text after I selected it and
pressed the highlight button ( large start double quote symbol )
<<<

Then add your own class 'CA' for centre aligned taking care to reset or
nullify the aspects of the default quote that you do not want.

<<<.CA
<<<

This is the thing I love about the provision for custom classes for the
quotes feature - as long as you can make up some easy to remember short
class names you can pretty much
invent any block level formatting and yet leave the regular functionality
untouched - all for the cost of writing or cribbing the custom CSS once and
then adding a dot and then adding 'dot' class.

I think I would have to disagree with complaints about CSS geekery - a word
processor may have some extra features but is not generally as extendable
or flexible as Tiddlywiki, the pay-back for a few trips to this forum is
huge and as others have pointed out unless you use a word processor which
provides enough buttons for every format option, at some stage you end up
in some kind of style sheet or style declaration, almost everyone wants
'KISS' until they have a unique formatting requirement and then suddenly
find themself wanting more flexibility and rejecting built in defaults.