Possibly a strange question.

I have a massive list of <option>organization type</option> as well as
others lists.

I found, and got, the following drop down field working with a Tiddler for
the field itself, and then another tiddler with all the options, one a new
line, and surrounded by the option code. I then transclude the tiddler with
the list into the selection section of the field code:

https://tiddlywiki.com/#SelectWidget

However, by default it seems that no matter what, when a selection is made,
it immediately writes to a new, or the current tiddler, and replaces
everything with the chosen value.

Below is a snippet from a code provided to me in an earlier thread in order
to generate a new Tiddler based on the values typed into the text fields.

\define temp() $:/temp/input/$(currentTiddler)$

\define tocscript()
<h1>$(storyname)$</h1>
<<toc-selective-expandable "$(storyabbrev)$" "sort[title]">>
\end

|      Story Name*:|<$edit-text tiddler=<<temp>> field="storyname"/>    |
|   Story Abbreviation**:|<$edit-text tiddler=<<temp>>
field="storyabbrev"/>  |

<$tiddler tiddler=<<temp>>>
<$button> Create Story
   <$vars storyabbrev={{!!storyabbrev}} storyname={{!!storyname}}>
   <$action-setfield $tiddler={{!!storyabbrev}} text=<<tocscript>>
tags="Stories" />
   <$action-deletetiddler tiddler=<<temp>> />
   </$vars>
</$button>
</$tiddler>

My question is if there is a way to show a drop down field, with the
options prepopulated, and have it act like the edit-text fields above vs
overwriting the entire tiddler immediately with the selection?

Or is there another way to reference/pick from predefined content in the
body of the tiddler while editing it?

Thanks!