PMario wrote:

> Si wrote:
>
>> I only just noticed your Uni-link Search feature! Very handy -  I have
>> been frequently writing things like [[really good idea|Really Good Ideas]],
>> so this will save me a lot of time.
>>

>> I'm wondering if there is a way to use Uni-link search, but tweak it so
>> it will ignore the final "s"? So [[books|??]] would automatically link to
>> [[Book]].
>>

> The main problem is, that singular / plural rules depend on the language.
> book - books in German is Buch - Bücher
> So a hardcoded rule won't help the plugin.
>
> The second problem is, that it has to work in both directions. So imo a
> link like [[books|??]] needs to search for "book" and "books"  ...
> [[book|??]] has to do the same thing. ... This will make the search
> function 50% slower :/
>
> It would be possible to implement "plural" / "singular" filter rules. But
> they will be language specific. Some 3rd party libraries will be needed. So
> there would be an additional plugin per language.

This is a very interesting technical discussion. Why interesting? Because
it illustrates the huge issue of language precision v. language latitude.

Personally I see is as a GENERIC problem, not anything specific to the
excellent UNILINK.

While it is possible to emulate *natural language usage* (i.e. code for
variations of plurals; or passive v. active voice) I'm not sure it is ever
satisfying.

A related, semantic, case in point is the breeding of Topics on TW Links
<https://links.tiddlywiki.com/pages/topics/> where we have "Theme",
"Themes", & "Theming" . That makes no sense and the proliferation clogs the
visuals.

The re-link plugin is very popular and I try to keep uni-link compatible
> with it. IMO the singular / plural links will definitely be out of the
> scope, what re-link should handle. ...

Right.

The question is interesting and valid, and it seems to be an easy change.
> .. But due to its language specific nature, it isn't. Implementing it will
> probably double the actual complexity of the plugin.

Right.

It's one of those "between the devil and the deep blue sea
<https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/between-the-devil-and-the-deep-blue-sea>"

issues?

Just FYI, I personally deal with this kind of issue by setting
"CONVENTIONS" (case, plurality) for each particular use case and never
change them.

This is merely a side-comment.
Best wishes, TT