I don't know of a way to get Google to tell me when conversations come up
concerning Relink, so I'm always late to the party.

PMario is right. Relink has to scrutinize every tiddler when it looks for
relinking, but it does have an indexer, and that indexer tries to reduce
the need for a "full tiddlywiki check" as much as possible.

   - The first rename you make after loading your tiddlywiki will take a
   while. All the subsequent ones will be much quicker, since it will have a
   shortlist of which tiddlers are relevant.
   - The first keystroke you make when typing in a new title (or looking at
   the Relink References tab) will also cause a delay. This too is cached, so
   it should only happen once per browser tab (or once per $:/tags/Macro
   change).

Hope this helps! You aren't completely wrong that Relink might seem slower
in certain respects in V2. I had to scrap a ton of old optimizations I had,
but I got the indexing working as best I could to compensate.

-Flibbles