Okay I was able to circumvent the issue by using two separate buttons that
replace one another when clicked. Actually the exact same thing is used in
https://tiddlywiki.com/#ButtonWidget. No clue why I did not do it this way
in the beginning.

<$reveal state="$:/state/petri/sidebar1" type="match" text="hide">

<$button class="sidebar-collapsible" set="$:/state/petri/sidebar1"
setTo="show">
Title matches:
</$button>

</$reveal>

<$reveal state="$:/state/petri/sidebar1" type="match" text="show">

<$button class="sidebar-collapsible-onclick" set="$:/state/petri/sidebar1"
setTo="hide">
Title matches:
</$button>

-Petri