I'm trying to make a class that will allow me to fill text with an image.
For example, making a drop cap for a manuscript-inspired theme that looks
like it's been gilded, by using an image of gold leaf.

The interwebz tell me that I want to use background-clip, but I'm not sure
how to set that up in a CSS class. Does anyone have any pointers?

All I have so far, which doesn't work (and I didn't think it would):

.dropcap { font-size: 40px;
margin: 10pc;
border: 5px double black;
float: left; background-image: url(<$macrocall $name="datauri"
title="paua.jpg" $output="text/plain"/>) background-clip: text; }

Thanks,
Aidan