On Friday, January 14, 2022 at 6:26:11 AM UTC-8 PMario wrote:

> On Friday, January 14, 2022 at 1:24:16 PM UTC+1 Eric Shulman wrote:
>
>> However, `<<list-links>>` is a merely a "convenience" macro for
>> outputting a bullet list of links.
>> If you want a more specific behavior, you should use the `<$list>` widget
>> directly, like this:
>>

> As  Eric pointed out `<<list-links>>` is a convenience macro ... and it is
> really "old" code, where the transclusion "title-fallback" code was the
> only possibility we had.
> With version 5.2.1 we do have a lot more possibilities to create "filtered
> logic" ... IMO the solution is relatively simple.
> We would need to redefine the list-links macro a little bit. See the new
> `<$set name="field-name" ...` instructions.

Actually, the change to `<<list-links>>` can be even simpler...

Just replace the `<$transclude>` widget with the `<$view>` widget, like
this:
```
<$view field="caption"> <$view field="title"/> </$view>
```
The reason why this works is that, unlike `<$transclude field="caption">`,
`<$view
field="caption">` applies its fallback content if "the field or property is
missing *or empty*."

However, neither suggested core change would actually address Reinhard's
stated use-case, which is:
"...*to always display the title, rather than the caption."*

-e