The modal is required even if using IndexedDB. We need a button click both
to show the choose file/folder dialogue as well as getting write/read
permission if using IndexedDB. If you have a wiki mostly for reading, you
can click the "close" modal button to exit without setting up the file save
location/file permissions.

Thank you very much for finding the bug with the consistency check! I
rewrote a chunk of that recently when adding the save trail. I have fixed
this and pushed the fix to GitHub and the example wiki (plugin version
0.6.2). I tested it out by opening the example wiki in two tabs and it was
able to detect when the file had changed unexpectedly.