Ton,

the original intention was to replace a lot of the core TiddlyWiki
functionality with its jQuery equivalent, by implementing that
functionality as lightweight wrappers around jQuery functions. It
turned out that this caused subtle incompatibilities with the old
TiddlyWiki functionality: things mostly worked OK, but there were edge
cases that worked slightly differently. For this reason we decided not
to proceed with a wholescale core rewrite. We do use jQuery in the
core, and significantly it is available for use by plugin writers.

Martin