Well in your particular use case it works sure, but as pointed out on the
stack overflow article you linked to, writing

height: calc(100vh - calc(100vh - 100%))

Is the same as writing

height: 100%

Because it translates to 100vh - 100vh + 100%. In order to be able to use
height:
100%, you must propagate that height from the root element through all the
children till the target element. Sometimes it may be too difficult. A more
general/reliable solution is the javascript approach I mentioned in my post.