I see that can be a solution, thank you.
Now i can see that the real problem lies in the fact that the spaces
are generated by the user in a form via Udo's FormTempate.

Therefore I would have a fuction that goes something like this: find
all spaces, replace with " "

Currently the transculusion is writen using a script like this:

<script>
var out=DataTiddler.getData("Customising the
Questionnaire","YourManager");
if (out.length>0){
        q1=' (‘';
        q2='’)';
}
else {
        q1='';
        q2='';
}
return //your manager// ' +  q1 +out + q2
</script>

It gets the form value if there is one, wraps it in quotes and
brackets and adds a default text in italics.

So we need to do something with variable "out" before we wrap it --
find space and replace.
Alas, the solutuion i find involes Reg Exp [1] - something outside my
skill set right now

Alex
[1] http://www.w3schools.com/jsref/jsref_replace.asp