Have you looked at TiddlySpace?
You could have a different space for each language, and include them
together in other spaces.

I'm no expert, but I think that extracting and editing PDF metadata with TW
will be difficult.
(I think tiddlytools has a plugin for importing plain text into tiddlers, so
if you got your PDFs into plain text it could be an option to import them
into TWs then import those into TiddlySpace)

Also I have found mendeley[1] good for reading PDFs. It also renames them
for you, and copies them into a file.  You can sort / search them and
annotate them too.

Alex
http://www.mendeley.com/