In the CheckboxPluginInfo tiddler there's a note that says:
-------
NOTE: 'Inline X' syntax has been deprecated... This storage format
only works properly for checkboxes that are directly embedded and
accessed from content in a single tiddler. However, if that tiddler is
'transcluded' into another (by using the <<tiddler TiddlerName>>
macro), the 'Inline X' will be erroneously stored in the containing
tiddler's source content, resulting in corrupted content in that
tiddler. For anything but the most simple of "to do list" uses, you
should select from the various alternative storage methods described
below...
-------

Those other methods are a bit more complicated, but really useful.
cmari