sometimes when I paste the characters in places, they change, so I'll
describe what I'm seeing: they're little squares with "00" on top of
"80" inside the box, e.g..  They seem to be in place of things like
quotes and apostrophes.

I have an Autokey (python) script that, once I select any text, copies
the text into a text file, and then I drop the files into a TW I
intend to print out in tiny font for later reading.  I'm on an Ubuntu
10.04 computer if that matters.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

thanks,
Dave