Could you please correct my thinking as I believe I might have missed
your point.

I have a feeling that what you're stating about HideWhenPlugin is
rather falsy. No matter how complex that boolean expression or
evaluation might be (of course allowing you to use OR AND NOT etc.),
eventually you either want to show or hide some content based on
whether or not some expression turns out to be true or false ...which
is what HideWhenPlugin allows you to do.

Of course, that still leaves you up for the task of having to possibly
figure out the exact, possibly complex, boolean expression you want to
use.

Cheers, Tobias.