On Monday, June 20, 2011 8:35:39 PM UTC+7, Julian Knight wrote:

>Tag hierarchies are FAR from obvious in TW ;) Many have a google for
"tagglytagging" - it may take a while to get the concepts straight in your
head! <snip>

Thanks so much for your detailed answers Julian. I've come a long way in the
past few days, and had already found the "built-in" sync you discuss - I'm
using Eric's ImportTiddler's plugin, seems to work the same way (using the
native functionality?)

In fact I find this much better for me than LoadTiddlers, although
LoadTiddlers works great for simple scenarios, e.g. I now have a "master
Plugins" TW which I use for sync'ing with the original author's source, and
then a single "update plugins" button updates them all in the child TWs.

For the "master hierarchical tag repository" challenge, a combination of
TiddlersTweak and ImportTiddlers works well so far.

Yes I need to be attentive, make backups etc, but it's so much better than
the previous alternative - manually editing in multiple TW files to keep
them in sync.
> Having said all that, I don't think this will work for you as you are
regularly reworking the hierarchy - you'd have to manually delete the old
hierarchy from the child TW files.

I do delete the tags from the child TWs and then do a fresh import, so far
not a problem - TagglersTweak is just the ticket, also for bulk re-tagging.
I just wish it would make use of Matchtags' boolean select capabilities. . .

Regarding the challenge of hierarchical tagging, it's a challenge just about
anywhere! The only tool I've found that handles it well from a user-friendly
POV is Evernote (I'm sticking to the offline v2 for that), but it's very
limited in allowing for any other presentation/navigation paradigms - great
for collecting and classifying data up-front, but not so much for
distributing/presenting for consumption - IMO TW's forte.

Regarding multiple taxonomies - that's a bit challenge in many ways, not
just technical, and I doubt it would be much easier in WordPress. Although I
could set it up, I really like TW's single-file portability and lack of
dependencies for distribution, version control integration etc so I think
I'll keep forging ahead here.

BTW I highly recommend checking out TWT-treeview - I'm using the "Executive"
template - very flexible tool for multiple navigation schemes - tabbed
menus, multiple hierarchies per tab. . .

For future googler's, here's an updated ViewTemplate to handle the issue
that the externally-maintained tagging tiddlers (indexing terms) shouldn't
be edited locally in the child TWs. Rather than just "warning" the user
(there were logic problems in the previous example as well), this one
actually prevents any editing, and incorporates the notice that this is a
special tiddler right into the display of the title:

macro='view title'>Master Quality - </div>