I think I found a clue... but not sure what it means:

when you click on the tiddler link that the FET produces (i.e. the
ones that aren't showing the picture), the tiddlers are empty because
they have an added space at the end of the tiddler title.  That's why
the tiddlers are empty and I assume that’s the same reason nothing
shows up in the "testing" tiddler macro transclusion as well.

The question then is why would the FET do that??